Friday, April 6, 2007

It's a Wonderful Life


This evening Simon, Imogen and I were eating at our favorite taco truck, La Fondita #2, in White Center. Immy sat in her Bumbo on the table and a guy nearby occasionally piped up with remarks. Eventually he said, "That's a nice lookin' baby. It reminds me of a movie star. I'll think of the name."

Imogen was wearing a peach cap-sleeve T-shirt and yellow pants embroidered with butterflies and flowers, so I assumed he realized she is a girl. We went on eating.

"James Stewart," he said suddenly. "It's James Stewart."

"Jimmy Stewart?" I asked. "Like 'It's a Wonderful Life'?"

"James Stewart," he said.

We're accustomed to people assuming Immy's a boy--one woman even called her a "heartbreaker" (when I related this to Simon, I mistakenly said "ladykiller")--but this comment took Simon and me quite by surprise.
The guy got up and proudly bade us a good evening, probably feeling like he'd paid us quite a compliment. Quite a compliment indeed.

No comments:

MomsRising.org