Saturday, September 27, 2008

Highway Checkpoint Protest



The U.S. Border Patrol is setting up highway checkpoints on the Olympic Peninsula to check drivers' immigration status, check for arrest warrants and otherwise use post-"911" powers to root out illegal immigrants and other people by plucking them straight off the road.

I went to last Saturday's anti-checkpoint protest rally in Port Angeles. My sister was there and so were about 100 other people from infancy to a woman celebrating her 93rd birthday.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for joining in. I hope we made an impact and the BP lays off.

I blogged it, too. There's links at the bottom of my post if you want to see if you made TV: http://sarmonster.livejournal.com/644866.html (warning: there's cussin')

I got a call from a guy a couple days later telling the story of his visiting Australian friend getting harassed at checkpoints. they almost jailed her.

It was really neat to see how much support we got.

Amy said...

Thank you!
A friend told me yesterday that she asked the owner of a prominent Port Angeles Mexican restaurant if the Border Patrol had visited his business. He said they had and added that a few days before he had simply been shopping in the Port Angeles Sears store when he was asked his status by a Border Patrol agent inside the store!

MomsRising.org