Thursday, May 3, 2007

A Museum of Itself




I visited View Ridge Elementary school yesterday and went inside for the first time since 1978 when I went to part of 2nd grade there. The most striking thing was that practically nothing was different! The school is a near museum of itself 29 years ago including the burlap-covered display boards hung high in the Assembly room and most of the furnishings. It was the Assembly room where we ate lunch, the library and my classroom that I remember most and they looked sort of the same as they did in my brain.


Yes, it was on these hallowed grounds that I learned the Kookaburra Song, got a Dorothy Hamill haircut, accidentally wore my mom's nylons to school instead of my tights and once used the boys' bathroom--which had no stall doors--by mistake in an emergency. I only spent a couple months there, but when we left to go back to Forks, Mrs. Stanley gave me a brand-new copy of Little House on the Prairie.

Library and South Exterior

No comments:

MomsRising.org